Author: Youngme Moon
My favorite business offering for 2010!
He’s preaching to this man’s choir. Innovative, unique, new….etc. have become as meaningful as white bed linen.
A sampling of Moon’s energy and style:
- As a culture we have moved well past the point where we are impressed by the traditional markers of affluence – the embarrassing display of whistles and bells.
- The differences are there, but they are lost in a sea of sameness.
- The truth of the matter is true differentiation – sustainable differentiation – is rarely a function of well-roundedness; it is typically a function of lopsidedness. The same can be said for excellence.
- You are also seeing how it is possible to micro-segment a market to the point of common senselessness. Would you prefer a low-calorie premium dark lager, or a dark premium light ale? A mid distance running shoe, or a short-distance low-impact cross-trainer?
- Product augmentation has become, once again, an expensive route to commoditization.
- It is a critical point in the life cycle of a category when not only does brand loyalty start to wane, but the notion of brand loyalty itself starts to feel like a quaint anachronism.